Ship Repairers ensure our Navy & Commercial fleet operate at maximum readiness. The hard-working men and women who maintain and modernize these vessels are pivotal to the nation’s economy and security.
There are many opportunities for high-paying careers offering great benefits in the ship repair industry. However, they all require experience and training for success. Our Virginia state-accredited, apprenticeship program prepares you for a promising career in the Maritime Industry.
The Técnico Apprenticeship Program, founded in 2012, is designed to invite talented individuals to build a workforce of skilled journeymen who want a rewarding career. Our apprenticeship program is a powerful solution that equip workers with the technical skills needed to grow and succeed in the ship repair industry while carrying out our mission to support fleet readiness.
Our apprenticeship offers training in the following trades:
Become a Skilled Journeyman
Apprentices participate in a rigorous training program, which combines trade specific training and on-the-job learning experiences with TCC’s academic classes. Apprentices are employed with a competitive salary and evaluated twice a year to receive performance based salary increase. Upon successful completion of the program, apprentices graduate with a Journeyman Card, A Certificate of Completion from the Virginia Department of Labor (VDOL) Apprenticeship Council and a Maritime Certificate of Achievement through Tidewater Community College (TCC).
High-paying careers offering great benefits in the ship repair industry
Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Citizenship: Due to government restrictions, this course is only open to United States Citizens.
- At least 18-years old: Due to safety requirements, students must be at least 18 to enter the program.
- Drug Free: Applicants will be subject to a drug screening prior to being hired.
- Background Check: Applicants must submit to background check prior to beginning the program. All students will need to qualify for security access to work in the Ship Repair Industry.
- Reliable Transportation: Attendance is mandatory throughout the program, so participants will need access to reliable transportation to get to and from class and work, on time, every day!
Apprenticeship Alumni Association
“Graduating from our apprenticeship program has been a life changing milestone and a testament of determination and commitment.”
– Matthew Kressley, TAAA Treasurer
“Técnico’s apprenticeship has opened the doors to an exciting new world of possibilities and has shaped a successful future for myself and my family.”
– Charles Haskett, TAAA Member
“Our apprenticeship gave me the tools needed to be a knowledgeable and successful leader in the ship yard industry, by combining on the job training with classroom learning.”
– Sean Foley, TAAA President
“Técnico Corporation’s Welding Apprenticeship allowed me to work and learn simultaneously. It presented tasks and challenges in and out of the classroom as well as built up my skill and ability in my trade.”
– TJ Mekosh, TAAA Vice President
Apprenticeship Inquiry Form
We are excited that you’re interested in our program! Please complete the following information form to submit your inquiry. Once complete, a representative from our program will reach out to you with the next steps to become a Técnico Apprentice!
Please answer all questions below.